Sunday, August 28, 2011

Under the guidance of my professor, who I trusted immensely, I let him put me into a hypnotic trance with the strange amulet that he had found in the old journeys to the ruins of fabled Canaan. I trusted the old man, wise in his years, and I opened my thoughts to let him explore, while gazing longingly upon the open eye of the strange five-sided star.

I remember falling into the star, and seeing the eye flare open to gaze at me. The world had become frozen in mid swing, and I rose up to touch the marking, as the world fell away and I gazed unsteadily into a gray world. The eye gazed upon me, on the hide of a great chittenous beast, who spoke of words and sounds that were a cold spike across my nerves.

I stood in the gray planes, and I looked upon the insectine face of the keeper of the eye, the eye upon his back, and he gazed at me, seeing me with neither contempt nor wonder, but a simple, blank acceptance of what I was, and who I was, and he gazed through me, reading every part of my soul, laid bare before him.

A thousand worshipers, a thousand students lay knelt at his feet, as he rose above the multitude of people, human, and some far less and far more. He spoke again in the tongue, the tongue of Canaan, and lectured his students upon matters that I did not know or comprehend. In this gray place, of three moons and a brightness without sun, the Knower spoke, and taught lessons far beyond my kenning. He gestured a hand for me to join them, and I did, taking up a robe brought to me, and for a thousand years I knelt, and listened to him speak, my mind brought open to wonders and terrors and revelations...

And then I knew I was ready, as I stood, and approached the great eye again, and I bowed my head in thanks to my Master, the Knower, and obeyed his command to bring others. My head swam with all I knew, like a pitcher filled with two gallons to the one it was meant to hold. Knowledge spilled from my lips like blood, as I held fast onto the gaze of the eye.

I looked away from his face, a face touched with a moment of compassion, and then to the eye, which blinked once and cast me back to strange colors.

"What did you see?" The professor asked me, as he shook me, his voice a froth, of wanton need to know. I shook, I trembled, and I retched as I was forced to breath again. "Tell me! Tell me what you saw! Tell me what He knows!"

I gazed upon my professor, and shook my head slowly, and spoke not a word to him. I said little, as I walked away to his furious shouts, and spoke not a word to any again.  For what had been shown, was too beautiful to speak, and too horrible to behold...

No comments:

Post a Comment