Friday, September 9, 2011


Late night. The train whistled past as I stood under the flicking lights of the subway. It was past midnight, work had been hell, and all I wanted was to crawl into bed - bed that was at least an hours walk away, less if I wanted to spot for a cab.

I closed my eyes and stood in the warm underground, and tried to catch a few moments of rest, to meditate upon what had been learned before I started through the large cavernous way. No one was here - security was always elsewhere when I came through.

I walked slowly, my heels clicking off the well polished tile, and I looked over at the graffiti marking up one of the pillars that held the domed roof. Billdog had certainly made a statement. I bit back a roll of my eyes and made my way for the stairs. The escalator was out. My shoes echoed the way, as the lights flickered again, with a rumble of the train.

The wiring had always been spotty.

Looking up, I glanced at the gate, and frowned as I found it closed, the security screen down and locked. I grunted, calling out for someone outside, and rattled the cage like container. It didn't budge.

"Hello? I'm stuck in here!"

The lights went out, after I banged on cage again. I jumped, and turned, my back against the cage and my eyes looking down at the dark that seemed to creep forward. It was thick and heavy, and made my spine crawl.

And then I heard a low rumble, like a growl.

A growl.  It was almost canine, and it crept forward in the shadows and moved with a deadly alien sensuality.  It crept forward, before I could make proper sight of it, and the long snout bared fangs, while eyes, black on black, stared up at me with an intelligence more than human.  It was long, a black skin like tar crossing against a boney figure, and the hungry shape drew towards me.  Drooling, the drops of its spittle fell upon the white tile and dyed it black, which crept towards the stairs while it came closer to me.  The lights beyond the cage flickered as it came near.  It was as large as a horse, and yet it stalked as though weightless.  The muscles on its frame oozed.

It climbed the steps as I stared down, my mouth dry and all my senses telling me to flee through the bars, bars that did not budge, that did not let me through.  I felt my cheeks wet as it came towards me, up the stairs, up the broken length of an escalator.  It smelled horrid, and intoxicating, like some chemicals, or petrol.  It came near, more of its body oozing and leaving stains where it walked.  It strode closer, as I pushed back.  The great maw hung open, tongue lolling out as the blackness drew the light and made my breath cold.  Its legs hunched as I turned, grabbing the cages, and screamed.  It leaped!

"Miss, you alright?"

I jerked, staring at the face of the guard.  The lights were on and I was shivering, my stomach rolling, as I held onto the top railing of the escalator.  I turned, looked about, staring at the brightness all about me.

"Miss?  You okay?  Looks like you've had a panic attack."  The heavyset guard lifted a hand to wave in front of my face.  I startled, and bolted up the steps, away from him, and into the night, towards the safety that was not underground.

I did not stop running until I was home, and tried to calm.  Just a hallucination.  Just a momentary schizophrenic break, no doubt!  I gave a strained laugh, gurgling in my throat, and tried to shake it out.  I'd talk to a doctor.  I must have worked too hard and dreamed on my feet!

I tried to laugh about it, as I walked to the bathroom to take a hot, relaxing shower.

And as I looked up at the mirror, fogging with heat, I caught two eyes staring back at me, and heard a growl, as the lights went out.

No comments:

Post a Comment