Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Uplift, eh? The fuck did they pick a kangaroo for?"

Outback, winter. It was colder than a witches teat, and if it wasn't for the fur, I'd have goosebumps. I sat back on my tail, holding my rifle over my lap, and checked the magazine again. Gun was fucking heavy, some jackass had seen to put a scope on my saw. Probably a joke.

"Yeah, coulda put 'im as a boxer. Kinda looks like more of a bunny, y'know? Pests an' all."

I took a puff off my cigar. Cuban. Since trading was allowed between Costa del Cuba and the rest of the world, after 'Merca got its head out of its puckered asshole, these cigars made that country a little richer. Fuck if they didn't have the best taste in the world, made all the better for being on restriction for 'health concerns'. I shrugged, bit into the stogie, and adjusted my scarf. Fuck it was cold. Global-warming my ass.

"Some fucked up science if you ask me."

I ignored them behind me, and looked out into the field. There had been contacts within the outback, C-grade threats. Hardly something to get your testicles into a twist about, but always worth investigating, and who better than a squad equipped with the finest of Moreau-Person soldiers and a few human observers.

"So what are we looking for, anyway?" I asked, after finishing off my cigar. I held the burning end in my hand, watching it, ruining my night vision for the next few minutes. "Sir."



"Sat picked up a heavy burst of gamma in this sector. We think its a small portal, and need to investigate it, and make sure we aren't encountering another invasion of the Hivers."

Hivers. They had tried to get here. Apparently, the bugs were simply too bad-ass to be taken over by a group consciousness.

Well, except the jellyfish, but who the fuck swam in the ocean around this death continent, anyway?

"Cool. I'm ready." I replied, eyeing up the observer. "But insult me for being a moreau, and I'll kick you in the balls."

His brow lifted. I looked back, and rested my hand on top of my rifle. He gave me a long look, studying the heraldry on my shoulder, the tattoo on my forearm, then up to my ears.

"Friendly, aren't you?"

"Only to the sheilas, and your tits aren't big enough." I replied.

"Fair enough." He muttered. He gestured, and we set off.

No comments:

Post a Comment