Thursday, September 15, 2011

"What if the Event was meant to bring all realities together into one point, and close all bridges between realities?"

Serge. Another on the team, from the ruins of Mexico. He had mutated. There had been a lot of mutations over the years since the first crack. The second Event hadn't been as nice. He looked like a bug, like a giant mantis, under the sombrero and the heavy cloth wrap. He had pistols - but if I had four arms, I'd use four pistols as well, simply for being awesome.

I looked up at him as we continued our patrol towards the contact point. The grass tickled my toes, and I felt hungry for some odd reason. I shook my head and tugged the scarf up and over my mouth, and continued forward.

"No, that'd be fucking stupid." I replied. He quirked one of his great antennae in a humorous way, and slapped me on the back before continuing forward. The rest of the squad was quiet. Nervous. We might only be classified for C-rank threats, but in the field, we could run from Alpha to Gamma grade dangers - and Alphas needed a tank or six to take down.

I remembered hearing stories, back when I was a youth, in the underground. Moreau were new, mutants were stared at, instead of shrugged at, and The Event was little understood. Some complained about the resources put into understanding one and making the other - but we Moreau could eat a lot different things, and were adapted to survive up top.

We had proven our worth over the years.

Alpha-Grade. There had been a few of those, perhaps a handful over the years. Big things, dragons, creatures from hell, even a giant robot that fired lasers and threw low-yield super-explosives. I shuddered despite myself.

"So, got any plans after patrol, Zath?" I looked over at Serge, who clicked his mandibles.

"Yeah. Got a date to get to." I replied, maybe lied. "Plus, gotta earn our keep."

He nodded. We continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment